Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Well, yeah.

Oliver looked very pale, with sweat along his hairline and whitely clenched fists. His mouth was rigidly closed with the effort of self-control, and he listened throughout without once interrupting or cursing.
I took the six bottles off to the hostel but when I got there I'd only got five, so I went back to look for the one I'd dropped, but I forgot it, see, when I saw him standing there over Ginnie and him saying she'd heard us talking, and then he said for me to come with him down to the village in his car and he'd drop me at a pub where the other lads were, so as I couldn't have been back home killing the boss's daughter, see? I remembered about the bottle I'd dropped when we were on our way to the village but I didn't think he'd be best pleased and anyway I reckoned I'd find it all right when I went back, but I never did. I didn't think it would matter much, because no one would know what it was for, it was just dog shampoo, and anyway I reckoned I'd skip using the new bottles after all because of the fuss there would be over Ginnie. But if it hadn't been for that bottle 1 wouldn't have gone out again at all, see, and I wouldn't know it was him that killed her, and it wasn't me, it wasn't.
He came to what appeared in his own mind to be a halt, but as far as Wyfold, Oliver and myself were concerned he had stopped short of enough.
Are you saying, Wyfold said, that you walked back from the village with the other grooms, knowing what you would find?
Only Dave and Sammy, see, they'd got back first, and when I got back there was an ambulance there and such, and I just kept in the background.
What did you do with the other five bottles of shampoo? Wyfold asked. We searched all the rooms in the hostel. We didn't find any shampoo.
The first overwhelming promptings of fear were beginning to die down in Shane, but he answered with only minimal hesita¬tion, I took them down the road a ways and threw them in a ditch. That was after they'd all gone off to the hospital. He nodded in the general direction of Oliver and myself. Panicked me a bit, it did, when Dave said she was talking, like. But I was glad I'd got rid of the stuff after, when she was dead after all, with everyone snooping around.

No comments: